Thursday, April 3, 2008

Dilemmas

I can't decide what to do.

Here's the thing. I was originally going to buy my nice new Surly Karate Monkey (a 29" do-it-all steel frame mtb/touring/commuting bike) in London from this place called Brixton Cycles. They've got it, but due to the Pound being so strong and their shop being incredibly busy, it turns out that the bike will be heaps more expensive with crapper spec, and that they won't be able to build it up till April 24!

So I'm looking at getting it from JensonUSA again, which is a US-based website that is offering better components at a much cheaper price. Thing is that to import things into the UK means paying a VAT tax of 17.5% and also bicycles attract a 14% Import tax on top of that. So I was going to scrap that, but then I found out that I could be eligible for a Temporary Import tax relief. Now I'm applying for that.

You wouldn't believe how bloody painful it is to fill this form out. It's mindblowingly ridiculous.

So we haven't seen a much of London today, just the 2.8km walk to the bike shop and back. We're both still a bit jet-lagged too so a siesta this afternoon killed the rest of the day. But that's ok.

I'll shut up now. When I get inspired I'll upload some photos.

2 comments:

Rymill said...

Is this like a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book?

I choose "A"

mrsboocock said...

Yo dudes, There is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing. Remember to adopt this idea in the UK otherwise you will never go outside and have fun!